Sunday, March 25, 2012

I just shouldn't think about it

It's kind of sad really, when I think about it. Here I am at 65 (very nearly) and I have to dispose of everything I have ever held near and dear...almost all the things I have accumulated and saved and loved. Oh, I understand some of this stuff is just stuff and should be discarded. But some of what I'm going to have to get rid of is things I've got emotional attachment to.

There are books I've kept for years. Books that belonged to my mother. Books I had when I was a child. Books given to me over the years. Books by authors I really enjoy and was looking forward to reading again and again.

There are pieces of artwork that I purchased because it was special to me. There are prints of paintings by especially talented artists of places I adore. There are shiny bits that I acquired from the Uptown Art Fair and Renaissance Fair that are so lovely to look at.

There are the 20 Ginny dolls I acquired because, you know, it's never too late to have a happy childhood. I missed mine the first time around and these mean so very much to me.

How do I choose what to keep and what to toss? If I knew I was going somewhere special where I could keep one or two of these precious things, it wouldn't be so difficult to donate/throw away these things. But I have no idea where I'll be this fall when I have to leave my "summer home."

Maybe I should just go to bed now and forget about all this. But, you know, it's really, really, really sad.

No comments: