Sunday, August 24, 2008

Ouch

I'm not at all sure I'll be able to work tomorrow. I'm going to have to call the HR nurse and ask what to do.

Yesterday (Saturday) I went to a movie with Betty, Cirque du Soliel's Delirium. Very good but I was glad I was paying movie theater prices for it. Anyway, we stopped for some supper after and by the time I got home I was in extreme pain. At first I couldn't pinpoint the pain. It was all over my arm. Up in my top neck/shoulder muscles where I tense up when I'm in pain...where everybody holds tension. Down the top of my forearm.

The top of my forearm ended up being the primary locus of my pain: in the muscles associated with holding the hand up. If you put your hand palm down on a table and rest your arm all the way up to the elbow on the table and then just lift your hand up, the muscle(s) that does that was what was hurting. It's also how I am able to type but only for short periods of time. Also, just above the elbow on the inner side of the upper arm was cramping up.

I've already tried to go an hour or two past the schedule for vicodin to see if I can survive without it. Nope. Doesn't work. I end up way behind and it takes a couple more hours for the drugs to get ahead of the pain. I won't be very useful working "under the influence." I can do a few small things, but nothing that takes a great deal of thought. And if I'm in a lot of pain because I stop the vicodin, I still won't be too useful. And nothing at Hoffman is "simple."

I'm disappointed.

No comments: