Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Tony Hillerman


I need to interrupt my irregularly unscheduled blogging to remember one of my favorite authors. Tony Hillerman passed away Sunday, October 26, 2008. He wrote 18+ books. They were mystery stories for the most part, written in Navajo country. The "legendary" Leutenant Joe Leaphorn and Sargent Jim Chee were cops in the Navajo Tribal Police. Joe Leaphorn was a skeptic regarding the Navajo spiritual ways. Jim Chee was working to become a shaman.

I've read all but the last book, The Shape Shifter. One of the things I do when I go into a book store is wander to the mystery section to see if he has anything new. I didn't see this one the last time I was out. I'll really miss reading them and may just have to read them all over again.

Perhaps more movies will be made from these books. PBS produced Skinwalkers, Coyote Waits, and A Thief of Time. Adam Beach played Jim Chee; Wes Studi made a perfect Joe Leaphorn.

Good journey, Tony Hillerman. You will be missed by many.

No comments: